- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA): a loan guarantee program and other initiatives to encourage financial institutions to lend to small businesses. Visit SBA’s District Office website for a description of the available programs and list of participating financial institutions in the region.
- Montgomery County Small Business Revolving Loan Fund: loans to companies that seek to locate or expand in Montgomery County.
- Maryland Small Business Development Financing Authority (MSBDFA): financing for small businesses that are not able to qualify for financing from private lending institutions or are owned by socially and economically disadvantaged persons.
- Maryland Capital Access Program: small business credit enhancement that enables private lenders to establish a loan loss reserve fund from fees paid by lenders, borrowers, and the State of Maryland.
- Maryland Economic Adjustment Fund (MEAF): loans to assist small business with modernization of manufacturing operations, the development of commercial applications for technology, and exploring and entering new markets.
- TEDCO: offers a variety of funding programs to assist technology-oriented companies. Attend a funding briefing to learn more.
- Maryland Neighborhood BusinessWorks Program: below-market loans to small businesses and nonprofit organizations in designated neighborhood revitalization areas.
- Maryland Linked Deposit Program
Equity Investment Programs
- The Dingman Center Angels: connects regional start-up companies seeking seed and early-stage funding with angel investors.
- Maryland Venture Fund: direct investments in technology and life science companies.
- MSBDFA Equity Participation Investment Program (EPIP): equity investment in socially or economically disadvtanged businesses.
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Grant Program: a federal program that provides grants for research and development of technology related concepts.
- StartRight! Women’s Business Plan Competition: grant funds to the winners of this annual contest.
- Montgomery County Community Grants: Montgomery County offers a variety of grant opportunities for organizations providing services to County residents.
Micro Enterprise Loan Programs
- Latino Economic Development Corporation
- Ethiopian Community Development Council
- Washington Area Community Investment Fund: provides access to capital and technical assistance to small businesses, childcare centers, affordable housing developers, and community organizations in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
Commercial Lending Programs*
- Small Business Plus -- Montgomery County has deposited funds in community banks and these banks have agreed to focus on small business lending. The following banks are participating:
- Capital Bank
- Congressional Bank
- Eagle Bank
- OBA Bank
- Wells Fargo Woman/Diverse Business Owner Programs
- PNC Bank Resources for Women Business Owners
- Calvert Foundation WIN-WIN Initiative
*Commercial lending information is provided as a courtesy and does not imply endorsement by the Department of Economic Development or Montgomery County.
Alternative Sources of Funding:
- Crowdfunding: a new mechanism to help companies raise project related donations through social media platforms.